THE ROYAL PALACE OF ISCHIA
The Royal Palace of Ischia was erected by Francesco Buoncore in 1735. It passed into the hands of the Bourbon Royal House, properly becoming a royal palace, after the Naples revolution in 1799. The property’s most remarkable feature is the presence of three hot springs, providing health benefits that were defined “miraculous”. The impressive architectural project implemented to the garden channeled the hot-spring water into thermal pools, creating a real bath centre that attracted all the Bourbon Court’s noblemen. Ferdinand II of Bourbon ordered that the pre-existing volcanic lake be converted into a harbour, thus building the current Port of Ischia. In addition to that, the garden plan was entrusted to the famous architect Carlo Vanvitelli and the botanist Giovanni Gussone. The King wanted the garden to blend harmoniously with the natural environment surrounding it, though including some scenic effects to surprise the visitor along the promenade. Therefore, different tree species can be found each time the path curves, providing a new view of the garden and the harbour. The hill covered in lava stone was planted with pines, while a vineyard and a citrus garden were grown nearby. The paths were adorned with camellias, eucalypti, plane trees and oaks. Statues, busts and archaeological finds embellished the garden, matching the Royal Palace neoclassical style, while the spectacular effect was granted by false caves built in volcanic stone.
The Royal Palace of Ischia is currently used as a thermal bath centre reserved for the military. Public access is exclusively allowed on the occasion of the concerts and shows of the Opera e Lirica music festival.
HOW TO GET THERE
Address: via Iasolino 1, Ischia (NA) 80077, Italy.
The Royal Palace of Ischia is located 50 mt from the Ischia Marina
There are no products matching the selection.